Sunday, August 19, 2007

88 and going strong ....


'Popo' is how I address her, my maternal grandmother who turned 88 earlier this year. She's the reason why I am able to speak Cantonese and its also her who introduced me to Hong Kong TVB serials when I was only 4.Am rather fortunate to be her closest grandchild as I have been staying with her for many years since I was a baby living at Bedok South.

She would bathe me, dress me and play with me often when I was bored at home. I remembered when I was about 6, she would ask me for the brands of the cars I had in my toy collection. I might have lied to her at some occassions but so what, I was only a young boy.

Having reached my teenage years when we were living at Upper Thomson, we had an adjoining room, sharing a small balcony that was turned into a study room for my younger brothers. She would often walk over, open the door and see what I was up to. Whenever I wasn't sleeping and at the computer at ungodly hours, she would tell me to go to bed. I would only nod and shooed her away.

We share a relationship that's strong and I know she dotes on me lots, always wanting me to get married soon so that she will be able to witness that happy occassion for Sandy and myself. Its coming soon anyway and of course, pending her approval on some auspicious dates.

If only she is able to read this blog in English ( if there happens to be a Chinese version, I don't think I will be able to make it writing those characters ), she would know how much she means to me. We do have our arguments at times and differences in opinions.Pretty normal right? Anyway, you guys ought to know how the older generation think and behave right? They can nag a bit but all those nagging are somewhat the only way of expressing that they care and love you. This I understand clearly.

Popo, I never had and will never have the guts to tell you how much I love and treasure you and how often you are featured in my dreams but those happy times will always be treasured and remembered, locked in a special place in my heart. For now, I can only do my best to see you weekly and bring you for the occassional meal with family. I hope your leg will feel better and may you stay healthy and strong.

No comments: